Working Woman: Lauren Von Der Pool
Occupation: Celebrity Vegan Chef & Health Coach
Inspiration: Started out as a gang member on the streets of DC and dynamically evolved first by selling vegan and raw meals outside of Howard University. Von Der Pool is now an active counterpart of First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move campaign; attacking childhood obesity with diet, education, and exercise. Von Der Pool is also founder of her own Non-Profit Organization that encourages children to healthy living, author of Eat Yourself Sexy: The Goddess Edition, and recently launched a pop-up vegan lunch service shop in Miami.
“Working with Michelle Obama spiraled into such a beautiful thing because I’ve been able to help so many people. The whole movement has been very good to me, and I’m just grateful to be part of it.” – Lauren Von Der Pool
7 Things You Need To Know:
“If I can come from where I came from and do what I did, there are no excuses.” – Lauren Von Der Pool
- Notable chef to Michelle Obama, Common, Stevie Wonder, and Serena and Venus Williams; Venus Williams credits Von Der Pool with helping her overcome Sjögrens syndrome, an autoimmune disease. Williams wrote the forward to Von Der Pool’s book and says, “Had it not been for Lauren’s vegan dishes, I never would’ve recovered and experienced many career wins.”
- Von Der Pool does not go anywhere without her pink Himalayan sea salt; In fact, when she dines out, she tells restaurants to hold the salt, dressing, and sauce and adds her own mineral-rich seasoning
- Caters the Oscars & Grammy’s.
- Currently working on opening a natural healing village in Belize, where natives can be healed by top specialists in the field.
- Appeared on Food Network’s reality food show Chopped.
- Once lived in a monastery in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas.
- Cured a patient of colon cancer by a strict regime that included raw food and fasting.
Von Der Pool’s Healthy Eating Tips:
- Drink your produce. “Fruit smoothies and green drinks [juices or smoothies with added spinach or greens] are a fantastic way to start your day with a healthy punch.”
- “Fruit should be eaten only with other fruit, except melon, which has to be eaten on its own. Eat organic and drink alkaline water” – Lauren Von Der Pool
- Kale is a great staple food.