Motivating Man: Tristan Walker
Occupation: Founder & Chief Executive of Walker & Co. Brands; the vision behind the company is to be the Procter & Gamble for African Americans.
Inspiration: He is the brainchild behind Bevel, a line of shaving products for men, catering to African American and people of color who get frequent skin irritation.
“Keep up that relentless determination, but couple that with some faith. You’ll find that you spend less time managing your anxiety and fears and more time getting things done.”- Tristan Walker
Bevel key product is the razor; designed to eliminate razor burn and irritation for people with coarser hair mirrored the e-commerce marketing scheme of Dollar Shave Club where customers mail in subscriptions of razors. It is important to note that Bevel came about on the brinks of industry leaders Gillette and Schnick “razor wars.” In a billion dollar industry, where Gillette and Schnick were no.1 & no.2, they failed to be innovative in products, marketing and price changes. Bevel was a notable clean up man, bringing forth the correcting razor for preventing razor bumps and other coarse hair related issues. Although, Bevel is a privately owned company and figures are not made available to the public, the success speaks volumes in customer retention. Walker & Co. has enrolled 20 barbershops across the country in a referral program, in which barbers use Bevel on customers and receive a commission if the customer later goes online to purchase the product.
7 Things You Need To Know:
- Walker is a silicone valley superstar for his works he committed to Foursquare; Walker was the Head of Business Development (2009-2012) for the location-based “check-in” apps. In this position, he secured hundreds of partnerships, with American Express and BravoTV being noted partners.
- In the past two years, The company has raised $33.3 million in funding, securing investments from Magic Johnson, celebrity endorser Nas, John Legend, Harrison Barnes, Andre Iguodala, and San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York; another key investor is Andreessen Horowitz, who also recently funded hair extensions company Mayvenn.
- Is currently on Target shelves!
- Bevel retains 97% of their customers after receiving their first delivery.
- Walker grew up in South Jamaica, Queens, New York
- He was an intern at Twitter in 2009.
- Walker & Co are planning to unveil an innovative health and beauty brand aimed at women in 2017.